1/03/2018 – Carbon Monoxide awareness

We would like to remind residents to please check your Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors! Carbon Monoxide detectors have a lifespan of approximately 5-7 years if properly maintained. Smoke Detectors have a lifespan of approximately 10 years if properly maintained. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is produced by combustion. It is produced from anything that burns, whether it be your gas or wood burning fireplace, gas dryer, gas stove, a furnace or even your vehicle. If that gas is not properly vented, it can have serious consequences to anyone exposed to it. With the snow blowing and piling up, make sure your building exhaust vents are clear of any obstructions. It common during the winter months for snow to drift over these vents, trapping in the hazardous gases and cause them to back up into your house. Please check to make sure both detectors are functioning, the batteries have been replaced and its within the expected lifespan of the detector. When in doubt, replace it. Buying and installing these simple detectors could very well save your life! If you have any questions about your Smoke or Carbon Monoxide Detectors, you can contact the Orchard Park Fire Company. If you believe your being exposed to Carbon Monoxide, remove yourself and others from that environment, get to a safe place, and call 9-1-1 immediately.  The Orchard Park Fire Company will come out and investigate the possible hazardous condition with our gas detectors!